Friday, March 11, 2011

Here I go I guess...


I'm not too thrilled about the path I've chosen at this point in my life. I have always wanted to become a medical doctor, but I never fully accepted or realized I guess that this might entail leaving my family and friends. I am excited to embark on my journey, but wish that my dream wasn't taking me so far from my fiance, my family, my friends, and my babies (9 dogs, 3 water dragons and one cat).

I will be going to MERP at Ross University School of Medicine. MERP is a program that gives people who have a red flag in their file for some reason, a chance to prove themselves. It stands for Medical Education Review Program. I and about 100 others from all over the world are going to attend this program beginning April 1st 2011 in Freeport on the Grand Bahama island. The courses are those offered in the 1st semester of medical school, are very rigorous, and are 4 months in duration. If we do well, we will matriculate at Ross University SOM in the Dominica island of the Caribbean Fall 2011. If we don't do well, we are out. WHEN I survive MERP, I will go to the Dominica, referred to as "The Rock" (it is an old volcanic island), for 16 months. Then, I will participate in U.S. clinical rotations in one of four--or all four places for 2 years. These include Miami, Michigan, New York City, and Atlanta.

So why am I here? I am here because I made a series of bad choices out of high school after my best friend, Brandon, was killed in a tragic car accident. To put it simply, I effed up. I partied without considering the consequences of my actions and got very poor grades as a result. Over the past few years, my grades have been excellent, but in the grand scheme of things, it was not enough to make up for the past. Ross is going to give me the opportunity of a lifetime--the only school out of 18 U.S. universities.

I do not however, regret what I have done to bring myself here. There are no mistakes. I am here for a reason, though I am not sure what that is at this point. My mom and dad raised me to believe that everything happens for a reason. All my poor choices have taught me what I am made of. I never would have known the true definition of hard work, perseverance, and resilience if I hadn't made my way from the bottom up. Hopefully the rest of my posts won't be so sappy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment