Monday, April 4, 2011

Don't wear chapstick at night in Freeport!



Aziz and I on Lucaya beach

I have been here for a few days now. It is beautiful and I am having a great time. But really who wouldn't in Freeport? I'm sure when school starts homesickness will rear it's ugly head. But then again, skype might keep that from happening! I LOVE skype!! I am having a wonderful time with my roommates and Sara (Goutami's friend). We all jive really well together. I am learning lots of things from them. For one, how to cook. They have made steak with mango chili toppings, homemade balsamic vinegarette, daal, Indian chicken curry, and um fried plantains.

The weather here has been amazing until today. We attempted to go to the beach multiple times but there were thunderstorms and we couldn't :( Tomorrow will be a better day.

We have gone to two different beaches. Lucaya is within walking distance and I have the blisters to show for it! The other is Taino beach, which is a little further, but still dang close. Lucaya is a bit more touristy and rightfully so...the water is gorgeous, there are lots of sea shells, and the beach is clean. Taino is more where the locals go and is a smaller beach. It is beautiful too, but there is more plant life and grass and seaweed. BUT, Taino has a couple little bars and live music which is nice. At Taino beach we met the rugby team and made friends with them. They took Goutami and Sarah out dancing, but Aziz and I were party poopers and went to bed. The sun is exhausting!

Lucaya

Taino Beach

Hanging with the Rugby boys at sunset on Taino beach
I did a front flip off the tall platform ;)

Our house is gorgeous. I have a very large bedroom with my own bathroom, which is nice, but my roommates are so cool, I wouldn't mind sharing. There are lizards that live with us and all around outside; they call them curly tailed lizards.

There are tonz of bugs and centipede looking things all over, which I don't mind. I love bugs. I try not to kill them, but I accidentally flushed a centipede down the toilet and stepped on a few :( Aziz is all about killing the bugs. Hilarious. One lesson I have learned here is that I can't put on chapstick before bed. I woke up last night with two bugs stuck to my lips. Eew. I accidentally chewed them. I was dreaming or something and licked my lips and squashed them in my mouth. I spit them out and chugged some water. Eek.

Our house is the apt on the left

Our patio

My future villa on Lucaya beach

We are learning a lot about where to shop...there are certain places to get certain things. For example, some places have really great deals like Costco (it's called Cost Rite here) but their cereal is expensive. We will go to the grocery store by the school to get our cereal. It has good deals on some things but not others as well.

We met some of the other students today and they all seem really nice. Some were from NY, Connecticut, and Texas. Most of us are women. Aziz (my roommate) will be happy about this! We are going to Red Beards bar for dinner and drinks tonight. And to play darts! So excited about that. Aziz complained that we were making him do "girl things" and that he wanted to do a "guy thing" and go to the bar. I think that according to Aziz, girl things are just anything girls do...because I don't see how going to the beach is gender specific. Hilarious.

Aziz reminds me to much of Schad it's funny. He is a momma's boy just like Schaddy. He needs us to help him do his laundry. LOL.

I have not done my hair or makeup since I've been here, and I think I'm boycotting doing my hair. It is like impossible to turn on the blowdryer with the heat. I might just let it go and leave it curly and do the minimal makeup thing...even that is a chore. It just melts right off anyway.

I'm excited to get this show on the road and study my ass off. I have been hearing that Dominica is even more beautiful than the Bahamas.

We are getting ready to head out so I will update later! Probably after Orientation on Friday :)



1 comment: